So why am I wearing a kilt?
I'm glad you asked! During the entire month of September, I'll be "Kilted to Kick Cancer" to help raise awareness of male-specific cancers.
"What's with the kilt?" I hear you asking. Well, what's the first thing you think of when you see a guy wearing a kilt? Yeah, the same thing as everyone else.
"What's under the kilt?"
I'm glad you asked me.
The answer? A 1 in 6 chance of getting a male-specific cancer.
- Prostate Cancer Facts:
- About 240,890 new cases of prostate cancer will be diagnosed in 2011.
- About 33,720 men will die of prostate cancer in 2011.
- About 1 man in 6 will be diagnosed with prostate cancer during his lifetime.
- More than 2 million men in the United States who have been diagnosed with prostate cancer at some point are still alive today.
- Prostate cancer is the second leading cause of cancer death in American men, behind only lung cancer.
- About 1 man in 36 will die of prostate cancer.
- Testicular Cancer Facts:
- It most often affects men between ages 20 and 39.
- It affects 8,000 men a year, and kills 390 of them.
- It is the most common form of cancer in men ages 15-34.
- 95% of cases can be cured if detected early.
- Some more interesting tidbits of information:
- The United States Preventive Services Task Force recommends against routine screening for testicular cancer because there is no known effective screening technique.
- Although it accounts for only about 1 percent of all cancers in men, it is the number one cancer killer among men in their 20's and 30's.
- Breast cancer receives 50 times more money for research than prostate cancer.
- For men in the U.S., the risk of developing prostate cancer is 17%.
How You Can Help
You can make donations to the Prostrate Cancer Foundation or the LiveStrong foundation using the links to the right.
You can tell all your buddies to make an appointment to get themselves checked.
You can wear a kilt and help spread awareness. Don't have a kilt? Through the month of September, you can receive a 15% discount at checkout when you purchase a kilt from Alt.Kilt. Use discount code 'KTKC' at checkout to receive the discount.
Guys, it takes 15 minutes to get yourselves checked! What are you waiting for?